A brief overview of Wateringbury Cricket Club History.....

Historically, Wateringbury had a cricket team which played on the cherry orchard behind the old School off Red Hill until 1940.

The present Club was formed in 1985 and plays on the Sports field in Fields Lane, Wateringbury. The first match was played versus Addington, away, the game ended in a draw. The changing rooms for the first home fixture consisted of two large tents! Fifteen fixtures were completed in the first season.

Porta-cabins were installed for changing facilities in 1986 and the present Pavilion was opened in July 1992.

The first Captain of the side was Mike Witts who has acted as President since 1986.

The first hundred was scored by Kevin Dibble versus Harrietsham in 1986 and the present bowling record is held by Michael Venner who took 9 wickets for 15 runs versus East Malling in 1996.

John Cullingworth the then Wateringbury C.C. Captain formed the Riverside League in 1988 and Wateringbury competed for several seasons. However the current side plays friendlies only and their fixture list includes approximately 40 games each season.

Colts sides were started in 1990 and Wateringbury C.C. played at under 13, 14, 15 and 16 levels. They were losing finalists in the AKCC Reeds Under 16 Cup competition in 1994.

The Club has completed three Tours to the West Country and in recent years have had four successful tours to Norfolk in 2004, 2006, 2008 & 2010.


Mike Witts